Our CEO, Debbie Gardiner spoke to Lawyer Monthly about how the Apprenticeship Levy can help businesses expand and how apprentices of all ages have make a positive impact on businesses across the UK.
The Apprenticeship Reforms commenced on 1st May, which saw a shift in focus, putting employers firmly in the driving seat. Large employers with an annual payroll over £3m started paying a 0.5% Apprenticeship Levy from April and registered on The Apprenticeship Service (TAS). Smaller employers now make a 10% contribution to the price of the Apprenticeship, whilst the government fund the remaining 90%. Additionally, there is a £1000 employer incentive for starting an apprentice aged 16-18. Micro employers also benefit from 100% funding for their 16-18-year-old apprentices. Our training and skills development services help our customers to recruit, train and develop their workforce through Apprenticeships; by demystifying Apprenticeship Reforms and bringing a bespoke and flexible offer to the table, whilst bringing about business improvements and a Return on Investment (RoI).
From an employers perspective an apprentice is highly beneficial they, improve productivity, customer satisfaction, staff and customer loyalty, sales, profitability and reputation. The employers Qube Learning work with that hire young apprentices report a reduction in staff turnover, improved succession planning, and how being able to train and mentor a young person means they have a competent and motivated member of staff that adds significant value to their business.
Graduate Apprenticeships are relatively new and we anticipate much growth in these Elite Apprenticeships in the coming years. The most effective Graduate Apprenticeship programmes happen when there is a four-way partnership; a Training Provider (Qube), a University (the University of Surrey has partnered with Qube), an employer who wants to use the Graduate Apprenticeship scheme in place of their traditional graduate recruitment/training programmes (or wants to embark on the graduate route for the first time), and finally a Student who prefers the Graduate Apprenticeship route to the traditional University one. This is more so with Graduate Apprentices, who don’t finish with a debt and learn the valuable practical skills throughout.
We work with many credible brands in aiding the implementation of a scheme. Hitachi Capital Consumer Finance (Qube Newcomer of the Year 2016) selected Qube Learning to give the finance business’ employees the opportunity to embark on Apprenticeship programmes. The successful bid by Qube saw 56 employees from the Hitachi Capital Consumer Finance on their way to completing an Apprenticeship by the end of 2017, a number that the company expects to see increase as people begin to see the benefits and understand the Qube way of training. Jason Bell, L&D Partner at Hitachi Capital Consumer Finance, says “the Apprenticeship programme builds self confidence in the induvial as they benefit from learning in the workplace. We’ve seen how beneficial this can be in terms of employee engagement and reducing staff turnover as Apprentices are stretched and challenged. Additionally, customer service levels have improved because of the training undertake as part of the Apprenticeship programme; we see a massive value in Apprenticeships.”
Qube Learning itself recruited two young apprentices in 2015, both achieved their Business Administration Apprenticeship and now have full time permanent jobs with the company. In 2016 Qube recruited three young apprentices; one in HR and two in the Data team, and they are still on an Apprenticeship programme, adding value and are important members of the team.
Read the full article on Lawyer Monthly HERE